We are Chaeban Ice Cream. We were about to go bankrupt when COVID hit since all our profit comes from summer walk-in traffic and there was going to be no summer sales this year. Instead we borrowed the software development team of one of our owner’s other companies and strung together a bunch of off the shelf solutions with some custom stuff to create a monthly ice cream subscription. It worked! We saved the company. We also invented a process for how a small local business can manage monthly subscriptions and do self-delivery professionally.
We have started a new business to scale up this solution and bring it to others. We want to empower small businesses to effectively compete with giants, to sell online using Shopify and then deliver to the door in ways that are surprising for a small local business to be able to pull off.
We’re looking for a resourceful React developer who cares deeply about local economies, clean code and great user experience. We don’t have a UX designer yet (maybe with never will!). You are going to turn our sketches in great user experiences the best way you know-how.
You like the idea of getting in on the ground floor of something with huge potential.
The team is Darryl, the champion/owner, and Sehajdeep, backend developer and near super genius. You will be the third person on this team. We have access to a large full-stack team is a sister company, so we don’t have to figure it out all on our own, but we will lead this and build it.
The position is full-time.
You can effectively and efficiently create beautiful React based front end experiences. Working with our backend API’s is a breeze for you. You have done it, you are comfortable with it and you will be able to plug in doing this for us very quickly because this is easy stuff for you.
You will do harder stuff and work in other areas as we grow this product because you are super resourceful and love to learn.
To love this role, here’s the type of person you are:
- You’re a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through from conception to completion. You will “own” features/tasks and are responsible for independent scoping, development, and testing.
- You’re an excellent communicator, fluent in both verbal and written English, who makes sure nothing slips through the cracks. We believe communication is critical and there is no such thing as over-communicating. You choose the right time and the right medium to communicate.
- You have the curiosity and desire to learn and grow your skills.
- You take pride in the quality and craftsmanship of your work rather than just doing it to get it done.
- You’re a team player who is comfortable working alongside and helping other developers, and you don’t take critical feedback personally. You welcome and embrace critical feedback.
- You’re excited to be a key member of a small, remote company solving problems and taking responsibility in areas both inside and outside of development.
Here’s what we offer:
- Annual salary $45,000 to start, more as we grow.
- Remote working: work from your home or wherever you want! We’re Canadian based but we don’t care where you are.
- Reasonable hours: we don’t expect (or want) you to work more than 40 hours per week.
- Control over your time: choose to work when you’re most productive.
- Report directly to the CEO/COO
- We happily provide or reimburse software you’ll need as well as books or courses that promote continued learning.
- Ownership & autonomy over your work and decision making
- And in case you were wondering: no politics, no b.s., and no jerks!