Coiled connects data scientists and researchers to distributed infrastructure using the Python data science stack (Numpy, Pandas, Scikit-Learn, etc) and Dask, a popular open-source library for parallel analytics. We come from the open-source Python community and are long-time maintainers of this stack in general and Dask in particular. We’re building a product that enables organizations and enterprises to collaborate better using Dask by solving the setup, scaling and security challenges of the standard open-source Python stack.
Through Dask, we enable analysts and scientists to understand the effects of climate change, fight cancer, and play the stock market. We have a wide range of customers solving these problems who need to deploy Dask throughout their organization to enable data science teams. This is a challenging task, and doing it well requires attention to user experience and building distributed infrastructure which is robust, secure, and observable.
We’re looking for a Front-end Engineer for our Cloud team. This role will be responsible for the design and build of real-time visualizations for analytical (Python + Dask) applications deployed in a cloud setting. You will take charge of the UI and help build the back-end — from visual design to browser-based application architecture to data streaming format.
This role will help shape our product roadmap and make decisions that change the direction of a young company.
Ideally, you will have:
- Extensive experience building web-based applications
- Comfort with creating the visual design, and interest in data visualization
- Experience implementing cross-browser solutions
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices – including unit tests, code review, version control, production monitoring, etc.
- Collaborative spirit and commitment to communicating well with colleagues in a remote environment as well as in-person
- A preference for writing mature and maintainable software in Typescript (and telling us why it is — or isn’t! — the best choice)
- We can teach you everything else (or learn about it together)!
- Nice to have: Exposure to the Python data-science stack – Pandas, Numpy, Scikit-learn – and / or enterprise analytics tools like Spark, Flink, etc.
- Nice to have: Experience working with real-time data streams
Please keep in mind that we are describing the background we imagine would best fit the role. Even if you don’t meet all of the requirements, yet you are confident that you are up for the task, we absolutely want to get to know you!
More About Us
Coiled is a remote-first company. We support you living and working from where you feel fulfilled, providing that you can collaborate effectively with your team.
Increase access to scalable computing in three ways:
- Coiled Cloud, managed one-click Dask deployments for everyone
- Coiled Enterprise, support and training for scalable Python and Dask
- Community Outreach, with the continued support of open source software
Accessibility — We make computing accessible to everyone, from the largest organizations to individual students and researchers around the world
Openness — we communicate openly and honestly about what we can and can’t do, following our roots in community-driven software
Mission-Driven — we care about making a difference in our world
Coiled is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all backgrounds, identities, and abilities to apply. We are committed to being a consciously inclusive place to work, valuing all ideas and perspectives.