We are a diverse, fully distributed team from around the world, working toward a shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join our team as a Creative Director and lead efforts focused on transforming the DuckDuckGo brand experience.
As a design leader, you will help shape how we communicate our brand throughout the entire experience — from marketing to product. You will collaborate with team members at all levels and work directly as an individual contributor on projects, balance management, mentorship, and coaching with hands-on support as you lead or advise the entire design process of your projects, from research and ideation to execution and validation.,
You will have a voice in all brand decisions, both big and small, which will directly impact all products, platforms, and channels. Read more about our ethical approach to design and check out what the design team has been up to on Dribbble.
We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work. If you’d thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you — build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction — you’ll fit right in!
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Serve as a design leader across the organization.
- Contribute to our brand strategy and lead a creative vision that speaks to our mission and supports a strong and recognizable brand.
- Champion the evolution of our brand design language and visual identity.
- Identify and recommend projects that will further our business objectives and elevate our brand.
- Lead and advise complex projects showcasing our brand while ensuring consistency and creativity across our work.
- Oversee how the brand is applied throughout Marketing and Product.
- Define testing strategies and success metrics while collaborating cross-functionally to create impactful work informed by data and user research.
- Collaborate on establishing and evolving processes and guidelines to standardize production and maintain a scalable design system.
- Grow our brand design capacity and quality through management, mentorship, hiring, and direct, hands-on contributions.
- Carry ideas forward with discretion and little direction.
- Engage in critique, humbly reasoning for your work, and being transparent with your process.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- 10+ years of interdisciplinary design experience with a minimum of 4+ years in relevant director-level positions (e.g., Head, Principal, Director, etc.) at significant global consumer brands.
- Demonstrable strengths in brand strategy and creative direction with hands-on experience in brand design, typography, color, and composition, having significantly contributed to the branding efforts for at least one large software or digital product.
- Exceptional project management ability, paired with communication skills.
- Ability to communicate your recommendations via a project brief with stakeholders.
- Exceptional creativity with a strong aesthetic sense and intuition.
- Experience working with qualitative user research.
- Experience developing testing strategies and defining success metrics aimed at informing and validating design choices.
- Experience in writing creative briefs and managing external design resources.
- Ability to respond quickly to design challenges and feedback.
- Ability to lead difficult brand conversations involving stakeholders across all professional levels.
- Understanding of design systems and their impact across product and marketing.
- Ability to collaborate in defining and evolving brand messaging, actively representing the brand voice and vision.
DUCK DUCK GO CULTURE
For over a decade, we’ve built a unique culture that helps us continuously improve job satisfaction and productivity. Want to know more? Check out DuckDuckGo Culture: How We Work for an overview of how we collaborate worldwide.
Maintaining satisfaction at work is one of our company objectives, just like maintaining and improving our private search engine. Our Team Member Support Guide explains how we make you our top priority.
OTHER THINGS TO KNOW
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- While this is a full-time job and we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expect an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
Hiring works best when it’s a two-way street. Learn how we help you get to know DuckDuckGo and envision your future role here. Find out more about how we hire.
DuckDuckGo provides equal work opportunities to all team members and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you.
PLEASE NOTE THAT
- A successful candidate will be subject to a background check.
- By applying for this role, you confirm that information submitted is accurate and that you understand falsification is cause for denial of employment or termination.