Smile.io is looking for an Engineering Manager to be the first-line manager for a small team of engineers on our Shopper Squad.
Smile.io is the world’s largest loyalty platform, providing easy-to-use reward programs that help scale eCommerce brands, transforming one-time sales into loyal customers. Over 100,000 brands use Smile to turn transactional purchases into passionate repeat shoppers.
We need your help empowering every entrepreneur to grow their brand and build lasting relationships with their customers. We are a fully remote company, and we believe you should be able to work from anywhere. We have team members working from home offices across the globe, and our team has never been more connected. Tell us where you’d like to work when you apply!
The engineering team at Smile.io believes in being proud of your code, owning what you ship, and embracing new tools to increase developer happiness. We believe small, empowered teams can ship products with the highest impact. Right now we’re working on expanding our product to support the massive growth of eCommerce.
We currently power over 100,000 rewards programs, reaching more than 500 million customers, and serving 1 million API requests/hour. Our primary deployment languages are Ruby on Rails, React & Ember.js, but as a team we enjoy learning new languages and technologies – so this list could change! We use Slack and Github to communicate efficiently and ship code every day.
We value diversity, inclusion and belonging. It helps us build a better product, it helps us create opportunity for growth and change. It helps us enjoy the work we do, and create a supportive creative environment to do our best work. It helps us to be human.
About the Team
The Shopper Squad is a cross-functional team focused on every system and interface that touches Smile shoppers to bring them the simplest, clearest loyalty experience. And to keep them coming back.
About the Role
The Engineering Manager provides direct supervision to individual contributor engineers and aligns and reports to a Director of Engineering.
What you’ll help us achieve:
- Supports a team of engineers to be their best – healthy, autonomous, data-driven, and effective.
- Collaborates closely with Product, Design, Marketing, and Support teams to build and deliver awesome new Shopper features
- Works with the squad to analyze and learn how Shopper features are performing in production to continuously make the product better
- Supports a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
- Participates in the team’s On-Call rotation
Who you are:
- Builds candid and trusted relationships with directs
- Has experience providing feedback and fostering team accountability
- Has regular, ongoing conversations with directs about near-term goals, performance and career aspirations to support their growth and development
- Leads by example – models behaviors and attitudes, exemplifies Smile’s standards of conduct and leadership principles
- Supports tactical delivery by providing directs with context and connection to the problem space
- Affects change based on feedback
- Facilitates and leads effective project kick-offs, syncs, retrospectives, etc
- Communicates clearly and transparently, follows up and knows when to invite others into a conversation to ensure all voices and perspectives are heard
- Time boxes decision making, raises blockers for resolution
- Radiates project status appropriately to stakeholders and reporting hierarchy; manages risk
- Aligns team with standard Smile delivery processes and artifacts
- Has a technical education or background
- Has strong communication skills, exhibits Smile values and has a sense of fun
Bonus if you have:
- Prior experience writing code, preferably in RoR, React, Python
- Hands on experience working in a cloud-based (AWS) environment with CI/CD and a tech stack similar to Smile’s
- eCommerce industry experience
Our Tech Stack:
User Facing Applications
Environment & Infrastructure
Who are we?
Everyone at Smile is driven by these core values:
- Be Humble – think of the team before thinking of yourself. We have no room for massive egos.
- Be Hungry – set hard goals, ask lots of questions and learn every day.
- Be Human – show empathy towards others, consider the impact of your decisions on other teams.
We know that Smile.io as a business is in constant evolution – the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our growth, so we talk openly about our career & personal goals. With such a diverse team of people, we know we can offer you the mentorship, tools and encouragement you need to grow.
Our commitment to candidates:
At Smile, we understand that finding a new role is challenging and that self-doubt or imposter syndrome can prevent you from applying to a role, don’t let it! You have a ton to offer and we want you to feel encouraged to apply, even if you don’t check all of the boxes. If you are passionate about eCommerce and helping merchants grow through loyalty and reward, connect with us.
At Smile, we rely on a range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We value diversity, and we’re proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.