Foreign Policy (FP), the premier news and analysis publication for international relations is seeking an experienced web developer for project-based work. We’re a scrappy group looking for someone with broad experience, to help our collaborative and entrepreneurial team.
If it’s part of the foreignpolicy.com domain, our team manages it. We assist in building our new editorial projects, and deliver custom experiences for external clients and FP Analytics, our internal research and consulting division. We’re constantly improving and enhancing the code that powers everything from newsletters to ads, and more.
Contractors should have a solid understanding of user-centred design and user-experience best practices. You should be able to evaluate a project through the eyes of our readers and identify any areas that a reader may find confusing or frustrating, and build it in a way that is modern and sustainable as the web develops.
Our office is based in Washington DC, but it’s ok if you are not.
In this contractor role, you will be responsible for:
- Maintaining and improving our current codebase
- Adding new functionalities to our website
- Building special projects and features
- Strong communication, organization and project management skills
- Ability to work independently
- Prioritize projects in order to meet deadlines
- Proficiency with Git code versioning and repository management
- Ability to accurately convert design files into functioning webpages, paying special attention to typography, spacing, layout, and responsive design
- A minimum of 5 years of experience and expert-level proficiency WordPress/PHP
- Proficiency in creating custom WordPress themes, custom post types, and admin customization using the Fieldmanager (or similar) plugin
- Proficiency interacting with RESTful APIs and formats (JSON, XML)
- Proficiency configuring and managing a local development server
Desired experience includes:
- WordPress VIP code review and deployment process
- Prior experience working in a media company and with an editorial newsroom
*Candidates must possess the legal right to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this opportunity.
Foreign Policy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity are committed to an inclusive environment for all employees. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.