Kentik is the network observability company. Many of the world’s most recognizable brands rely on our SaaS platform to make sense of their networks, relying on our infinite granularity, automated insights, and insanely fast search to answer key business questions. Our rapidly growing, geographically distributed engineering team builds state-of-the-art products that are supported by a truly big data platform that processes trillions(!!) of records per day. To this end, our engineering culture emphasizes collaborative communication, openness to ideas, and practical solution design. To find out more, read our blog at kentik.com and follow us @kentikinc.
The true meaning of Kentik is visibility. We are committed to making sure everyone feels empowered to use their voice, has a sense of belonging and is represented at Kentik. We don’t look for individuals who fit the culture, but those who will continue to add to the culture. We encourage everyone to apply, especially those individuals who are underrepresented in the industry: people of color, LGBTQI+ community, women, individuals with disabilities (both seen and unseen), veterans, people of any age or family status.
About the role
Kentik is rapidly expanding its product offerings and seeks an experienced technical writer to join our documentation team, whose mission is to provide our customers and prospects with the information they need to fully understand the Kentik platform. Working with the senior technical writer, product managers, and software developers, your primary focus will be on maintaining and expanding our Knowledge Base (online documentation). The KB covers the full range of Kentik’s features and capabilities, explaining everything you can do with the product and how to use it, including step-by-step procedures for common tasks.
Both the product and the KB are maintained on a continuous update model (rather than versioned releases) to maximize our responsiveness to customer needs. As part of the documentation team you may also be involved in the creation of additional (non-KB) technical content that supports customers in using Kentik.
What to expect
- Work with product managers and software engineers to obtain information regarding all aspects of the Kentik platform, including the Kentik portal user interface, Kentik software agents, and Kentik’s RESTful APIs
- Get to know the use cases and intent behind product features, what those features do, how they work, how they benefit customers, what information customers need to use them to full advantage, and how to avoid any potential limitations or unintended consequences
- Based on the above research, write up specific areas of the product in detail from the perspective of an end user, including both descriptive and procedural information, and organize the information into topics within highly structured KB articles
- Take screenshots of documented UI
- Keep track of, and file issues on, aspects of the product (e.g., UI, CLI and API params, etc.) that you believe users might find unclear, inefficient, or otherwise in need of further refinement
You may be a good fit if you have
- An affinity for written language that’s detailed, unambiguous, precise, and concise
- Consistent communication and organizational habits, as you will interfacing with many different stakeholders on an adhoc basis as both your and their time allows
- Familiarity with the concepts and terminology of networking and network infrastructure
- Familiarity with the concepts and terminology of data analytics
- Created explanatory media content (video tutorials, slideshows, guided walk-throughs, etc.) and its integration into a primarily static online environment
- Modified images with an image editor such as Adobe Photoshop
- Created highly structured documents, making extensive use of MS Word custom styles and formatting or similar to define structure and enhance clarity
- Used GitHub and content management systems
Our tech stack
- Our core data engine and platform are primarily written in Go
- We use Node.js + Express for application serving, and React as our primary UI framework
- We also use some JS and Python for tooling/scripting
- In addition to our own database, we use Postgres, Kafka, Mysql, and Redis
- Internal and public APIs expose both rest/json and gRPC endpoints
- Haproxy, Envoy for API traffic routing and balancing
- Github for source control, PRs, issues
- Jenkins for automated builds
Healthcare and Leave*
- Medical, Dental, and Vision that is 100% covered for employees & dependents
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Maternity/Paternity leave, medical leave to care for yourself or a loved one
- Stock Options
- Flexible time off
- Vanguard 401(k)
*Benefits are as listed for US employees. Local health insurance coverage and similar benefits are provided for employees outside of the US.
Perks and Reimbursement Programs
- $100 per month for wellness expenses and activities
- Internet / Phone Reimbursement
Come work with us
We promise it will be worth it! You will be working at a fast-growing, well-funded startup, alongside world-class engineers and thought leaders as we build the future of network observability and digital operations. With a competitive salary and first-rate benefits on top of meaningful, challenging projects, we’re sure you will enjoy joining our team!