Nathan James is looking for a talented, driven, and experienced Senior Ecommerce Manager to manage the sales P&L and strategy in order to support the hyper-growth of our eCommerce retail accounts from $50M to $150M in gross merchandise value over the next 4 years. This role reports directly to the VP of Sales and will be responsible for leading a team of merchandisers, sales coordinators, and a performance marketing specialist.
The people-first company, design-first home.
We are a design-first, home furnishing company focusing on the habits of urban dwellers and first-time home buyers. We pride ourselves on the best in class customer happiness, providing the highest possible quality products that are affordable for the majority and assembly that isn’t dreadful.
As a people-first company, we understood from day one the importance of being fully distributed. We encourage everyone to work in whichever manner that helps them perform their best.
We appreciate that time is our most valuable resource. That’s why with everything we work toward, we try to solve for happiness. However, happiness means a lot of different things to different people. For this reason, we don’t define happiness for our team, instead, we provide tools and support so anyone can unlock it for themselves. Some of the ways we do that are by removing processes and ideologies that get in the way of doing our best work, we design benefits that support a healthy relationship with our work, and we engage with our operating values to guide us in our work. We use these frameworks and more to build a happy and resilient organization.
We also understand working for Nathan James isn’t the only function of our lives, and we don’t expect that! We’ve found that a team member who will be happy and fulfilled as a remote team member at Nathan James is someone who values their personal life and identity outside of work. That’s why we don’t create mandatory team hangouts or events. Instead of forcing engagement, we solve for improving collaboration.
We collaborate best when we listen and learn from each other. We become stronger when we advocate new perspectives and viewpoints. We focus on what we’re solving for and what’s true, so we don’t create barriers or false expectations that distract us from our mission. We also don’t set unreasonable working hours, deadlines, or goals. We create with calm, “slow is smooth and smooth is fast”.
When you join the Nathan James team, you can expect a thorough, but mindful onboarding process with ramp-up time to learn. You can expect to give and receive direct feedback. You can expect minimal meetings. You can expect to work with smart and kind people. You can expect to be counted on. Most importantly, you can expect to do the best work of your career at Nathan James.
Check out Glassdoor to hear what the team has to say about working at Nathan James.
About the Role:
This role, with the support of the VP of Sales, is responsible for building and executing on strategies to maximize business profitability and sales growth opportunities. The Senior eCommerce Manager will be the business owner for all wholesale accounts (Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart, Wayfair to name a few) possessing a full understanding (inclusive of the strategic context) of internal and external variables that impact your business (this entails owning forecasting, monitoring, understanding and analyzing the business, along with responsibility for driving projects to achieve business objectives).
The primary responsibilities are:
- Building and managing the execution of proactive promotion and advertising plans
- Reviewing, and approving sales forecasts and communicating impactful updates to dependent divisions, and signing off on sales forecasts
- Identifying and managing the execution of new retailer onboardings
- Conducting financial analysis of the wholesale business to meet revenue and profitability targets
- Having a thorough understanding of the home goods industry, seasonality, and business trends/events, and continually monitoring competitor/industry developments
- Managing customer relationships and having a complete understanding of their needs and adjusting strategies to support them (inclusive of quarterly or as needed virtual or in-person meetings with customers)
- Create business plans for new opportunities and develop and execute project plans for new product launches, incorporating merchandising, marketing, and pricing strategies
- Coordinating with cross-divisional teams, and communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
We are looking for a sharp and intellectually curious candidate with both an analytical and operational mind who has senior-level experience in e-commerce. You are someone who is equally comfortable changing contexts instantly to execute a high-impact and time-sensitive activity while refraining from doing so on lower impact/priority activities that surface up. While you do your best to make data-informed decisions, the complete data may not be available. In this case, you are comfortable using your business judgment based on experience to solve problems in the gray area. You are skilled at using reporting tools such as Excel and Airtable and have experience working with software teams to prioritize long-term projects/initiatives. You are an excellent communicator and writer who is at ease talking over text, phone, and in person. Additionally, you’re a relationship builder who’s comfortable negotiating and representing Nathan James externally.
- 3+ years of experience in wholesale e-commerce account management and strategy with a proven track record of delivering results at a scale of at least $80m revenue.
- Experience using data to influence business decisions.
- Minimum 2 years of experience managing a P&L (inclusive of budgeting), inventory management, and performance marketing strategies.
- Minimum 2 years of experience being involved in the forecasting process
- Experience overseeing the execution of merchandising, sales support activities, and driving internal cross-team collaboration
- Ability to operate simultaneously and effectively in both tactical and strategic modes
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a product-based consumer goods
- Experience in Amazon terms and pricing negotiations
- Experience documenting and implementing guidelines or processes where none exist.
In this role, you will oversee the sales coordinator, merchandisers, and performance marketing, specialist. You will work closely with the forecasting, brand marketing, accounting, product development, and logistics teams.
It will be expected that you are proactive during training and learn quickly. In your first month, you will jump into the sales data, executing on the sales plan, and familiarize yourself with the categories and retailer partners of Nathan James. Once fully up-to-speed (2-3 months), you will begin communicating with retail buyers and working on strategy.
Benefits & Perks:
Our benefits aim to support a life well-lived, both at and away from work.
With these benefits, we want and expect you to take vacations, spend time with your family and friends, be conscious of your wellness, invest in broadening your education, and strengthen your personal happiness.
How to Apply:
Please submit an application here that speaks directly to this position. There are no right answers or cookie-cutter expectations. A cover letter is not required, but those that clearly demonstrate how Nathan James would be a great fit for you and how you would be a great fit for us will be given full attention and are highly appreciated.
We expect to take two weeks to review all applications. If you don’t hear from us by then, we have decided to move forward with other candidates.
If we chose to move forward to the next steps in the interview process, you’ll hear from us and advance to an introductory video call. Then on to a work sample review. You’ll get a chance to see the types of challenges you would be solving in this role. Then on to additional interviews. Our interviews are all remote by video chat, with your future colleagues, on your schedule.
We aim to make an offer and have this person start by the end of June.
We appreciate your consideration in having Nathan James be part of your career. Our open conversation starts with this post. We look forward to hearing from you.