We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 89 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener – because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Reporting to the Global Corporate Controller, this individual will be responsible for leading the global accounting activities of the Company. The ideal candidate is someone who inspires a high-performing accounting team, but can also embrace ambiguity and loves solving problems. The candidate will possess a solid knowledge of US GAAP principles as well as a solid background in Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) and financial operations. The candidate will also possess strong management and team leadership competencies gained through prior experience managing a corporate accounting department within a large, complex global organization. You will play a critical role in ensuring we continue building a world-class accounting function while partnering across the business to ensure our systems and processes are running smoothly. Our goal is to be scalable as we push towards global best-in-class operations.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Oversee, support, and develop the corporate accounting team while driving efficiency & automation to keep up with the demands of our high-growth business.
- Manage the accounting operations for areas including general ledger, payroll, equity and intercompany, including detailed analysis and reconciliation of all general ledger accounts, while ensuring compliance with US GAAP, local accounting requirements and internal policies. Own and drive coordination of the monthly global financial close process across multiple teams.
- Ensure the global consolidation is prepared accurately and timely.
- Streamline, automate, maintain & improve processes, systems and internal controls. Enhance operational effectiveness and efficiency of the Controllership organization.
- Assist with SOX compliance activities for the corporate accounting team, including developing and executing internal controls.
- Liaise with internal and external auditors, FP&A, information technology, tax, treasury, legal and other functions.
- Team leadership through managing talent including motivating, coaching, training and mentoring team members. Enthusiasm in working with a global team.
- Ad-hoc projects as needed.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- 10+ years of progressive accounting experience, including as a Director or Senior Manager of Accounting, with public company roles in the financial services, Fintech or Payments industry.
- Active CPA or equivalent required.
- Strong knowledge and leadership of accounting operations. Proven experience building, developing, mentoring, and inspiring a large, diverse, high performing professional accounting team in multiple locations (globally).
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal, able to communicate complex concepts and risk factors to stakeholders and influence decision making.
- Experienced business partner, skilled in building trust and inspiring others while ramping up in a new business and role in a complex environment.
- Excellent knowledge and proven track record in assessing, developing, and implementing internal controls for SOX compliance while balancing bureaucracy-free processes.
- Excitement around navigating a hyper-growth, rapidly changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
Nice to haves:
- Strong ERP systems experience, preferably in NetSuite.
- Experience with Coupa, FloQast and Jira.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Suite.
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location, the target annual salary for this position can range from $179,775 to $211,500 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
To apply for this job please visit www.coinbase.com.