In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave’s mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed diaspora members from several African nations – and more recently Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That’s where you come in…
How you’ll help us achieve it
To achieve our mission, we need to make sure our app is easy to use for every interaction from signup to sending to editing info to resetting your password. You’ll work closely with our Head of Product to fix highly impactful user problems and A/B test interface changes to make the experience even smoother and quicker. You’ll eventually be the primary code owner of our iOS app, and the go-to person for when someone else on the team has a hairy iOS problem they need help with, but it won’t be all iOS work though— you will need to work across client and server to solve problems end-to-end.
In your first few months, you’ll
- Advise other engineers on iOS development questions and challenges
- Assist with prioritizing efforts to refactor the existing code to use modern best-practices
- Supervise and oversee technical aspects of development projects
- Work with other teams within Sendwave to solve business problems
- Streamline in-app signup and verification flows
- Set up A/B tests to measure the impact of your work
- Help us build a top-tier referral program to help users share their love of Sendwave with their friends
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. We strongly prefer candidates who are within +/- 4 hours of UTC
- This is a permanent position
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- 6 – 10 years of professional experience as a full-stack or mobile engineer
- Significant experience working with iOS — you don’t need to know every detail of the iOS environment off the top of your head, but you should have a strong enough foundation to figure out those details when needed
- Familiarity with both Objective C and Swift
- Work authorization in the country in which you intend to be based
You might be a good fit if you
- Care about users and want to make their experience easier and better
- Are more of a “get it done” type person than a perfectionist
- Aren’t afraid to throw away code you wrote when after testing, a flow you built doesn’t work as well as another one
- Can easily communicate with non-technical folks and translate their feedback into code
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
Bonus points if you
- Have worked on a growth team before
- Possess hands-on experience with Python or Android
- Our team of over 200 employees are fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Wave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up every day.