Sourcegraph is seeking a prolific managing editor to lead our editorial strategy. This is a highly visible role where you will have the opportunity to make a huge impact on building Sourcegraph’s brand recognition. In this role, you will establish our engineering blog, craft our editorial calendar, and grow our developer audience. You are a creative self-starter who is highly motivated to build an audience from the ground up. Additionally, you are process-oriented, a highly skilled editor, collaborative, and have a high standard for quality.
We’re looking for someone who has experience managing a successful blog or experience working in publishing. You know how to run a newsroom, create low friction processes for contributors, and how to find the best stories. You will partner closely with product managers, software engineers, and community contributors to help them share their stories and expertise.
The managing editor is a marketing role on the content strategy team and reports to the director of the content strategy. It’s an individual contributor role to start and is expected to evolve into a people management role as the company grows. As part of the content strategy team, you will contribute to an internal content strategy, and you will be responsible for creating an editorial strategy. As a Sourcegraph team member, you will be responsible for documenting, implementing, and facilitating collaborative publishing processes in a highly transparent, all-remote environment.
You will work closely with team members across the company including software engineers, product managers, and other marketers. It will be your responsibility to cultivate working relationships with internal and external subject matter experts as well as stay informed on big picture marketing goals, strategies, and plans.
- Oversee and manage all publishing and operations of Sourcegraph’s engineering blog
- Be an advocate for the needs and interests of Sourcegraph’s developer audience
- Formalize and implement Sourcegraph’s editorial strategy
- Set the publishing strategy, directives, and goals
- Identify and facilitate the creation of high-potential stories and themes
- Plan and approve article assignments and ensure content/audience fit
- Continuously improve the contributor experience for internal and external writers
- Report on blog performance and make informed, data-driven decisions to grow blog traffic
- Hire and manage freelance and staff writers and editors
- Apply Sourcegraph’s style, voice, and tone across all blog content
- 5+ years experience as an editor
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing staff writers and/or freelancers
- Writing samples authored by and credited to you
- Experience designing editorial and publishing processes
Nice to have
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in a Humanities or Communications related field
- Experience writing for a software engineering audience
- A passion for open-source software
- Familiarity with using git, GitHub, and markdown
- You apply.
- We set up a 30-minute call to chat with you about Sourcegraph to find out what you are looking for in your next role.
- We schedule a few more hours of interviews. You will interview with the director of content strategy, creative director, digital marketing manager, director of product marketing, and the VP of marketing.
- We check your references.