Tokyo Academics is the passion project of a constellation of teachers, researchers, and academics from around the world. Since 2012, we’ve evolved from a few university friends to a growing number of part-time and full-time individuals located in Tokyo, as well as working remotely. We are an organization of experts deeply passionate about helping students meet their potential and capture the opportunities of the future.
We are looking for an independent self-starter to drive our HR strategy, overseeing all internal HR functions (excluding recruitment). This role will work closely with the management team to implement best practices that foster a positive work environment, support resolving people issues, and ensure compliance with company policies.
This role can be completely remote or working at our Tokyo office but must be available during regular business hours of 10:00 am to 7:00 pm Japan time.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-paced startup of 80+ team members around the world. You will play a significant role in helping the organization continue to grow by bringing onboard new tutors and team members.
What you will work on:
- Partner with division leads in the strategic planning process of the company to enable leaders to participate in formulating corporate goals and developing departmental plans.
- Develop best practices around employee relations, HR policies, salary benchmarking, conflict resolution, employee engagement, and operational manuals.
- Develop, maintain, and improve performance reviews processes with the input of stakeholders such as managers and executives.
- Coordinate onboarding of new hires conduct initial onboarding sessions, and follow-up for feedback to continually improve the onboarding process.
- Maintain contracts and ensure all staff have valid contracts in place.
- Monitor appropriate implementation of progressive discipline based on company rules and regulations, oversee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Develops HR operations financial strategies by estimating, forecasting, and anticipating requirements, trends, and variances; aligning monetary resources; developing KPIs and action plans; measuring and analyzing results; initiating corrective actions; minimizing the impact of budget variances.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is native or fluent in English (speaking/reading/writing)
- Has 3+ years of experience in HR and recruiting
- Has familiarity and comfort with international working cultures
- Is fast, self-starting, organized, detail-oriented, and systematic in order to “get it done”
- Is magnetic, energetic, sociable, efficient, and creative
- Is comfortable working through the ambiguity of a growing organization, and feels comfortable asking questions and seeking help
- Has an entrepreneurial hands-on can-do attitude
- Has a high degree of judgment and can juggle a diverse range of priorities
- Are data-driven and results-focused
- Has experience with both quantitative and qualitative data and analysis
- Competitive compensation package
- Bonuses based on company growth
- 20 days of paid time off per year
- Join a growing bootstrapped company with a lot of potential for growth
- Autonomy to implement ideas and have a significant impact
- Can work a flexible schedule, ideally available 5 days a week during regular business hours (10 am-7 pm Japan Standard Time)